What data do we collect?
Personal Data is information that identifies a particular individual (“Personal Data”). In order for us to provide the Services to you, we need to collect and use certain Personal Data about you. We may collect the following Personal Data when you order a Minut Device, interact with our customer service, add another authorized user for your Minut Device, or otherwise use any of the Services:
- Your and the other authorized users’ first and last names.
- Your and the other authorized users’ e-mail address, telephone number, address and other contact information.
- The GPS coordinates of your home or other residential property where you have installed your Minut Device(s).
- Your and the other authorized users’ photographs (if you have chosen to upload photographs to the Minut Mobile App).
Special Note About Guests
When you use our suite of features called Guest Connect, we may collect the following personal data related to Guests:
- Their names, e-mail address, telephone number
- The dates of the their stay in your home or property
- The location of the home or property they are staying at
Even if the applicable law does not require such notice, we think it is a good idea to do so and we strongly encourage you to inform your guests of the Minut Device in your residential property listing and at the property.
For your convenience, we have written some sample language you can use.
Sensor Data is information that a Minut Device detects and gathers from your home, such as the level of temperature, humidity and noise. You will be able to decide in your settings in the Minut Mobile App or Online Dashboard, as applicable, at what level of temperature, humidity or noise you will want your Minut Device to send a separate alert to your Minut Mobile App or the Online Dashboard, as applicable. Your Minut Device does not record conversations.
Automatically Collected Data and Other Data
In addition to collecting Personal Data and Sensor Data, we use technologies to do automatic data collection. Information collected automatically may include usage details, IP addresses, and information collected through cookies, web beacons, and other tracking technologies.
Our Website also uses Google Analytics cookies. We use the free Google Analytics tool (see http://www.google.com/analytics/) to collect and analyze our Websites’ statistics. Google Analytics mainly uses first-party cookies to report on visitor interactions on our Websites. No personally identifiable information is collected by the cookies, and they are only used for the statistical collection of data like visits and page hits. Google Analytics’ cookies store IP addresses but we cannot link those addresses to any individual or path through the Websites. Google uses the cookies to get information and assess visitors’ use of the Websites in the form of statistical reports that we can access. The Google Analytics’ code is incorporated into the Websites’ code, which means that our site serves the cookies, but Google has access to the cookies. If you want to stop being tracked by Google Analytics across all websites, go to Google’s site at: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
We use Facebook Pixel, and allow your interaction with related social networking services including Facebook and Twitter, all of which may collect data about your usage of the Services. We and our service providers use server log information for purposes such as calculating site usage levels, helping diagnose problems with our servers and administering our Websites. These server logs may include information such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address, host name, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request, the time(s) of your visit(s) and the web page(s) that you visited. Collecting IP addresses is standard practice on the Internet and is done automatically by many websites. We may in the future decide to use additional tools to collect and analyze anonymous or aggregated data about our Website visitors and Service users.
For further details, please see the ‘about Hotjar’ section of Hotjar’s support site.
We use Leadfeeder, after cookie consent is given, to identify potential leads from visits to minut.com.
What do we do with the data we collect?
We may use your Personal Data for the following purposes:
(a) to register you to use our Services;
(b) to ship your Minut Device to you and to deliver and maintain our Services;
(c) to communicate with you about the Services;
(d) to keep our internal records regarding billing, accounting and the use of the Services;
(e) so that we can fulfill our obligations to you relating to the Services and to help you resolve support issues;
(f) to disclose it to our third party vendors and other service providers who need access to your information to carry out work on our behalf, such as our payment processor, hosting services, distributors, e-mail service, and any third party first response or security service (if your subscription includes a first response or security service).
(g) to enable us to monitor, review and improve the Services;
(h) to communicate with third-parties, such as guests, on your behalf and only in conjunction with their stay in a home equipped with the Service; and
(i) for marketing purposes (see also Direct Marketing below).
Pursuant to EU privacy legislation, we are required to disclose to you the legal basis (under such legislation) for our use of your Personal Data. The legal basis for our use of your Personal Data listed under sections (a) through (f) above is that the use is necessary for the performance of our contract with you and in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into that contract. In regard to section (g) and (h) above, our legal basis is that the use is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests to provide and improve the Services. In regard to section (i) above, our legal basis is your prior consent.
Sensor Data, Automatically Collected Data, and Other Data
We use your Sensor Data, Automatically Collected Data, and Other Data:
(j) to provide the Services to you and to help you resolve support related issues with your Services; and
(k) to make aggregate compilations, statistics and analyses of such data – on an anonymous basis – without restriction. We may use such compilations, statistics and analyses for research, scientific and commercial purposes, again, without disclosing any Personal Data that would permit identification of our customers.
The legal basis for our use of the Sensor Data, Automatically Collected Data, and Other Data under section (j) above is that the use is necessary for the performance of our contract with you and in order to take steps at your request prior to entering into that contract. In regard to section (k) above, our legal basis is that the use is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests to improve the Services.
Special Note About Children
Our Services are not directed or suitable for children under the age of 18. We do not knowingly collect any Personal Data from children under 18 without parental consent. If you are aware of a user under the age of 18 using the Services without parental consent, please contact us immediately. We reserve the right to delete or deny access to any account or authorized user immediately if we suspect the account holder or authorized user is a child under the age of 18 whether the child is using the Services with or without parental consent.
Please note that if you add your child under the age of 18 as an authorized user of your Minut Device and the Services, you will be deemed to have given your parental consent to the inclusion of your child’s Personal Data in the Services. If you add someone else’s child (such as a relative staying with you) as an authorized user of your Minut Device and the Services, you must get that child’s parental consent.
Use caution when adding an underaged child’s Personal Data (such as the name and photograph) in the Services. Perhaps consider substituting a photograph of your child with a picture of an inanimate object. Please also read the Section titled “What else should I know about security and the Services?” below.
You may choose to provide data and information about yourself and your use of the Services to third parties, such as to:
- Websites, Features, Apps or Services Developed by Third Parties. To increase your enjoyment of the Services, we may provide links or references to third party developed websites, features, apps or services on our website, blogs, discussion forums, social media accounts or otherwise. For example, we encourage, and have an active group of users that provide, community developed features based on various open source software. You may also independently find third party developed interfaces between the Services and the third party app or service.
These third party apps or features or services might include, for example, applets. These allow you to get more from your Minut Device, such as getting an e-mail or text message alert, or turning lights on or off in your home, based on Sensor Data detected by your Minut Device.
If you decide to access these third party websites, features, apps or services, you do so at your own risk. We suggest that before (1) using any third party websites, features, apps or services, (2) choosing to disclose your Personal Data to them, and (3) allowing them to access your Sensor Data, that you read their Terms of Service and privacy policies to understand what information they collect about you and how they use that information.
- Social Media and Public Forums. You may submit ideas, photographs, user profiles, writings, music, video, audio recordings, computer graphics, pictures, data, questions, comments, suggestions or other content, including Personal Data (collectively, “User Content”) on social media sites (such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter), online blogs and forums. We or others may store, display, reproduce, publish, distribute or otherwise use User Content online or offline in any media or format and may or may not attribute it to you. Others may have access to this User Content and may have the ability to share it with third parties. Please think carefully before deciding what information you share, including Personal Data, in connection with your User Content. Please note that we do not control who will have access to the information that you choose to make public, and cannot ensure that parties who have access to such information will respect your privacy or keep it secure. We are not responsible for the privacy or security of any information that you make publicly available on social media, online blogs or public forums – or what others do with information you share.
What else should I know about security and the Services?
Sharing information and having real-time access to data about your home is fun and easy, but also brings along some risks that you should be aware of so that you can enjoy your Minut Device responsibly.
Please note that it is your responsibility to determine what action you will take as a result of the Sensor Data detected from your home or any alerts that Minut Device sends to your Minut Mobile App or the Online Dashboard, as applicable. Our Minut Device is not able to determine the cause of any variations in the Sensor Data detected and will not, for example, alert a home security service or the authorities as a result of any data measured or alarm detected unless you have purchased a separate first response service from us as an add-on. Such first response services are currently available only in select locations and are also subject to additional terms and conditions provided separately.
You should be mindful of the security of your computer or mobile device, and prevent unauthorized third parties from opening your Minut Mobile App and Online Dashboard. We recommend you protect your computer and mobile device with a passcode and change your Minut Mobile App’s and Online Dashboard’s log-in password periodically. If you have given access to your Minut Mobile App or Online Dashboard to a third party (such as a friend in order to monitor your home while you’re traveling), we recommend you change your password after you no longer need the third party to monitor your home and also terminate such third party’s access to your Minut Mobile App or Online Dashboard.
Please use caution when setting up your Minut Mobile App and Online Dashboard, and consider the potential ramifications to you, your family and your guests should your Minut Mobile App or Online Dashboard end up in the wrong hands. We do not wish to scare you, but do want to help you understand our technology better. For example, if you set up your Minut Mobile App or Online Dashboard to show whether someone is home or not – and an unauthorized person gains acces to your Minut Mobile App or Online Dashboard – that person would be able to see where your home/property is and that your home/property is empty when nobody’s home. If you do not wish to track the “at home/not at home” feature of your Minut account’s authorized users, do not activate that feature in the Minut Mobile App or the Online Dashboard, and be sure to turn off location services for the Minut Mobile App in everyone’s mobile device. That might also be a good opportunity for you to check which third party applications on your mobile device are tracking your location – and turn location services off for those apps if necessary.
The use of our Services requires an Internet connection and your Minut Device requires a wi-fi Internet connection. You are responsible for obtaining your own wi-fi and Internet connection to use your Minut Device and our Services. You should understand that your mobile phone, computer and other electronic devices are susceptible to attack from third parties. We recommend you use firewalls, store your passwords in a safe place, and create passwords for yourself that are strong. The security of your Internet connection and/or wi-fi network is your responsibility and out of our control.
How do we keep your Personal Data safe?
In order to keep your Personal Data and all the other information we have stored safe, we have implemented various security measures and taken reasonable steps to prevent unauthorized access, use, alteration, destruction or disclosure of your Personal Data. For example, the order form on our Website uses Secure Socket Layers (SSL), the industry standard for protecting private information sent over the Internet. However, no data transmission or storage over the Internet can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. As a result, while we strive to protect your Personal Data, we cannot guarantee or warrant the security of any information collected through our Services.
Your Personal Data will be stored in a secure environment and treated confidentially.
Retention and Transfers of Your Data
We retain your Personal Data for as long as we deem it is necessary considering the purpose of the processing and also allowing you to choose to de-activate your Service only to re-activate it at a later date. However, we reserve the right to delete your Personal Data if you have been inactive for a period of two (2) years. If we have deleted your Personal Data after two years, this means that you would have to set up a new account with us if you again wish to use the Services. We may keep anonymized data indefinitely, for statistical and analytical purposes, and in order to improve the Services.
In addition, all data we collect may be used or transferred as follows:
- International transfers. Our server is currently located in the European Union and that’s where all Personal Data, Sensor Data and Other Data we collect is stored. From time to time, we rely on service providers in non-EU countries to perform services such as error checking for us. Therefore, the data we collect may be transferred across international borders outside the country where you use our Services, including to countries outside the European Economic Area (EEA) that do not have laws providing specific protection for personal data or that have different legal rules on data protection, for example, the United States of America. The transfer is performed on the basis of your specific consent.
- Mandatory disclosures. We may be obligated by mandatory law to disclose the data we collect to certain authorities or other third parties, for example, to law enforcement agencies in the countries where we or third parties acting on our behalf operate. We may also disclose and otherwise process the data we collect in accordance with applicable law to defend our legitimate interests, for example, in civil or criminal legal proceedings.
- Corporate transactions. We may disclose or transfer the data we collect in connection with the financing, sale, merger, bankruptcy, sale of assets or reorganization of our company, or to transfer the data within our corporate family.
We may use your contact information in any commonly used method in order to provide you with information about products, special offers and other information relating to our products or Services or which we believe may otherwise be of interest to you.
You can change your mind later on in respect of direct marketing by contacting us at any time. In addition, if you receive direct marketing from us in writing you will be reminded in that material that you are able to request a change to your preferences.
Rights of Users Located in the EU
If you are located in the EU, EAA, or Switzerland, you are entitled by law to access, correct, amend, or delete Personal Data about you that we hold. A list of these rights is below. Please note that these rights are not absolute and certain exemptions apply.
- The right to access. You have the right to ask us for copies of your Personal Data. This right has some exemptions, which means you may not always receive all the Personal Data we collect and process. When making a request, please provide an accurate description of the Personal Data to which you want access. Please make any requests in writing to us and we will comply with your request promptly. You may also request that we provide you with a copy of your historical Sensor Data.
- The right to erasure. You have the right to ask us to erase your Personal Data in certain circumstances, including: (i) when your Personal Data is no longer necessary for the purposes for which it was collected or processed, or (ii) your Personal Data must be erased to comply with a legal obligation under EU Union or Member State law. If you choose to delete your Personal Data, you understand that we will not be able to provide the Service to you anymore.
- The right to restrict processing. You have the right to ask us to restrict the processing of your Personal Data in certain circumstances, including: (i) when the accuracy of the Personal Data is brought into question, or (ii) when we no longer need the Personal Data for purposes of the processing but you require such Personal Data for the establishment, exercise, or defense of a legal claim.
- The right to data portability. You have the right to ask that we transfer the Personal Data you gave us from one organization to another, or give it to you.
- The right to lodge a complaint with the supervisory authority. If you believe your rights under the GDPR have been violated, the GDPR gives you the right to file a complaint with the supervisory authority. A list of Supervisory Authorities is available here.
- Right to Object to Processing. You have the right to object to the processing of your Personal Data that is based on legitimate interests. If you make such an objection, we will cease to process the Personal Data unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for the processing which override your interests, rights and freedoms, or we can demonstrate the processing is for the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims. Additionally if you no longer wish to receive direct marketing from Minut, you may object to the processing of your Personal Data for direct marketing purposes. You can object to the processing of your Personal Data by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To exercise these rights, please contact us at email@example.com. For your protection, we may need to verify your identity before responding to your request. In the event that we refuse a request, we will provide you a reason as to why.
Please write to or send an e-mail:
Address: Minut, Baltzarsgatan 23, 211 36 Malmö, Sweden